Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Egg and the Tomato





I had a particularly vivid dream this week. I was on a farm, looking at the ground near a picket-style fence, and I noticed a new sort of genetic hybrid: the egg-tomato. Eggomato? Tomegg? In my dream, in my own voice, I said, "Oh! What a lovely idea." After all, huevos rancheros is a delicious dish.

The eggs were balanced upright in the grass, that perfect, smooth, egg cream color with lovely rosy swirls of tomatoey orange. 

In 1988, at the age of ten, I kept track of my dreams in a journal. Twenty years later, I reinstated the practice and purchased a book of dream symbol interpretations. Guess what the egg represents? Untapped potential. The tomato - and here I'm stretching a little, because I'm calling it a vegetable - represents basic, everyday sustenance.

For years I have sought a balance between the two. A way to express the artistry and release my potential, and still be able to pay the bills. The eggomato is the answer.

No comments: